Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Personal Space Camp and Superflex Game

Man on man this has been a crazy semester! I can't believe how fast the time is going. I know I haven't posted about a new recipe for a while but I sadly haven't been making too many new things. I have been making things I know how to make because by the time I get home I am too tired or in a hurry to do something new.

But I have been doing some awesome things at my practicum site! I have made a lesson plan for a second grade guidance lesson on personal space. It is actually two lessons because there is just so much you can do! My supervisor gave me the book Personal Space Camp to use with the class.  The plan is to read the book and then do a few activities with it.  One of the activities is a coloring sheet that I made myself and am very proud of.  I am also having the students role play ways to have personal space and ways to not have personal space. They are also going to be making space suits out of boxes and paper bags! That is part of why it is taking so long because I want to give them time to decorate their space suits. We are also going to talk about what to do if someone is in your personal space. If you are interested in my lesson plans let me know and I will gladly share.

I am also going to be doing a group for second grade boys on social skills. My supervisor had bought the Superflex Curriculum a few years ago and had not really liked it.  She had offered it to a practicum student a few years ago who was able to pick and choose a few things to use.  She also offered me the program to use. It is not really great for a school setting because it is 12 sessions that are kind of long. I will only get to work with my group for maybe 20 minutes at a time.  So I too just picked some things I thought I could use with the time I have. I also wanted to plan an activity that would keep them entertained and really engaged in what they are learning. So this weekend I made a board game! I based it around the Superflex characters and used strategies that they came up with. They have to roll the dice to see how far to move but in order to stay there they have to answer a card correctly. Here are a few pictures of the game.

* FYI- If you look at my board game it is a rather long game board. Because I only had my group (4 students in the group) for about 30 min we didn't come close to getting through the whole board. You might want to make it smaller or have a way to remember who is at what spot to pick the game back up next time. This worked great with my boys and this was the most engaged groups session I had with them. They also kept asking when they would get to play again!

Each card either has a "Unthinkable" character on it or a strategy. If it has an Unthinkable then they student has to name a strategy to defeat that Unthinkable. If it is a strategy card they have to name the Unthinkable they could use it against. 

This is the back side of the cards. 

My game board.

I printed out 6 Superflex pictures and glued them on different color paper to be our pieces. 

15 comments:

  1. Can you tell me where you found the colored pictures of each unthinkable?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! I found the images from Google images. I think I just typed in Superflex or Superflex unthinkables. Then I saved the images to my computer so I could make them the sizes I wanted.

      Delete
  2. sounds great Meredith- could you email me your lesson that accompanies Personal Space Camp- I do like that book as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure thing where should I send it?

      Delete
    2. Hi! Would you mind sending one to me as well? I really love this and we just got the book - kristin221@gmail.com - thank you SO MUCH!

      Delete
    3. Hi! I just came across your post and I would LOVE to have your lessons, if I could :)

      Thanks so much! jennyalarson@gmail.com

      Delete
  3. This is awesome! Any chance you could email me your lessons and pics, etc. for the game? Thanks so much for sharing!

    agosney@hrsb.ca

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, can you email me a copy of the lesson and game for Superflex also do you have any other ideas or lessons that you have done with your class? Would love to implement them this year. Thanks, Nyvamptrezz@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, can you email me a copy of the lesson and game for Superflex also do you have any other ideas or lessons that you have done with your class? Would love to implement them this year. Thanks, Nyvamptrezz@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd love a copy as well. Thank you! sleepyskyline@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Id love a copy of the personal space lesson and anything you could send from superflex as well! ramboraina@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Id love a copy of the personal space lesson and anything you could send from superflex as well! ramboraina@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Meredith. I'd love the images and cards that you used for the game. Thank you for taking the time to create it and share with others.
    Fiona (fiona@on-the.net)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi. Could you please send me a copy of the personal space lesson and anything from superflex as well? Love the ideas. Be_Dan1@yahoo.com.au
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete